Zurich is
like a doll house. All the buildings look like they’re Victorian cupcakes with
pastel stained window shutters and the streets are paved in hand-made
cobblestones. And its all draped along a pristine lake with white swans dozing
on the surface. The people are soft spoken in their high German and I feel like
half the population there is retired. The spikes of centuries old church towers
gaze over the sleepy city and if you walk along the hilly streets you feel the
intense desire to whisper and tip toe with your umbrellas past shop windows.
Bells chime the hour day and night.
Ok so yeah
you need to go there. It was like a fairy tale. Smaller then I expected and the
Bourne movies do not capture all the details I saw in 24 hours there. I landed
around 11 in the morning and found my friend Eliza really easily. We spent the
day scouring the city-comparing different phone providers, sorting out my train
ticket and pass, and exchanging money. Alfredo gnocchi for lunch, German
sausage and potato salad for dinner, yogurt for breakfast the following morning
and then some Chinese to run on for lunch before I caught my train from
platform 17 to Lausanne. It took 2 hours, and I passed through Berne, and like
3 other stops I couldn’t pronounce. The landscape began to stretch out more
beautifully and the hills rolled over like a map, dotted with cows with bells.
I love cows
with bells. They look nicer then American cows somehow. More mellow. Yummy.
I got
picked up at the rain station in Lausanne around 7 and came back to the base
just in time to grab the last serving of Kailua brisket, mashed potatoes, and
green beans. Shuffled with my duffles up to my room on the top floor! 3 bunk
beds, 3 desks, a sink, and practically no drawers or floor space. But its
working so far. My roomates are Julia and Son from South Korea, and Taylor from
San Fran, and Kristen from Vancouver. Taylor, Kristen and I became friends on
sight and we all wear the exact same clothes size and shoes. So yeah we’re
automatically bonded. My calves are sore from the stupid stairs. The language
barrier is pretty tough this school, there are people from 6 nations in just my
school! And there’s only twelve of us!
This
morning as one of the leaders explained each school, it was translated: English
to French to German to Korean. That was a long introduction! The rest of the
afternoon was registration, and then a tour of the base itself. Singing in
French is awkward. I need to go into town and buy a towel. And laundry
detergent. I’ll probably do that tomorrow. But so far its been interesting-out
of your comfort zone with the languages all flying around like bumble bees in a
crowded room. I skyped my parents, the my little sisters, and then my
boyfriend. That was a highlight to the day. Now off for evening lecture. I
dunno many details or schedules yet but so far its been delightful.
Until next
time.
Love&Blessings,
Bri
No comments:
Post a Comment